Sunday 15 June 2014

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Something is lacking in child rearing these days that certainly was not lacking when I was a child.  As a result, many children today seem to be poorly behaved.

My generation was raised to be quiet unless spoken to and to be obedient and respectful.  Right and wrong was clearly established.  Despite this, there was still ample time for childhood play, creativity and fun. 



Now many children are taught to make their own decisions and question authority from a very young age.  They seem to be encouraged to speak up (and interrupt) and let their voice and opinion (with 3 years of wisdom) be heard.

I can understand the desire to challenge our children to think, and to nurture independence but I believe some parents are trying to do this at an age when children still need guidance, structure, boundaries and a good role model.

Child development has been called "development" for a reason.   A young child's mind has not yet developed enough to make decisions and offer reasonable opinions.  They still need to learn by observing (while silent?) the examples set for them by adults.

I also believe that part of the "be silent until spoken to" philosophy is so that kids can learn respect for their elders.  Even as adults we have to practice respect for our bosses, leaders, dignitaries, senior citizens, war veterans etc.  If we don't learn this as children we likely will have trouble mastering it as adults.

Popular parenting styles and philosophies do change over the years.  Only time will tell whether they are positive changes.  I think for many, reading varied authoritative books on effective parenting is a must before starting a family.

After all, parenting really is the toughest, most complex and important job we have!


We want our children to grow up self-confident, respectful, productive, law abiding, happy and fulfilled.  That is a tall glass to fill.  So we need all the help we can get.

Today is Father's Day and I am grateful to have a Christian father who instilled Christian values into our home both by example and teaching.  We learned right from wrong, a strong work ethic through chores, respect and love for others.  We also learned to give to those in need and we learned to give thanks to God in all things!

I am more grateful for my father with each passing year.  Hindsight is 20/20 they say.  I was a challenging child to raise who needed a lot of discipline to learn the principles and values my father desired for me.  But with time he succeeded and I love him for it. 

I am proud to say that today I am in many ways just like my Dad!

Billy Graham (Christian Evangelist) says this about fathers:
     "A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of
     the most valuable assets in our society."

Clarence Budington Kelland (U.S. Writer) says this:
     "My father didn't tell me how to live, he lived, and let me watch him do it."

Happy Father's Day to all the great Dad's out there!

And to all the loved children, Give Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment