Monday 14 April 2014

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SIGN OF SPRING

Recently in Mexico, while I gazed at the numerous Palm Trees, I concluded that the palm tree is my favorite tree.  It probably helps that I am a sunshine and sandy beach fanatic.

When I returned from my Mexican vacation to Western Canada, I noticed the Cherry Blossom Trees were blooming, and quickly decided that my second favorite tree is the Cherry Blossom.

Each year the Cherry Blossom trees are a welcoming sign of the beginning of Spring.  Their glorious array of colorful blooms line many streets in our communities.



The Cherry Blossom tree is native to Japan where there are over 100 varieties.  Most have flowers that are light pink or white in color but dark pink, yellow and even green blossoms exist.  Most of the flowers bloom in either early or late Spring.  However, some extreme varieties bloom in autumn or even winter.  Most are 5 petaled species but some have more, and it is those with more that tend to bloom later.

Cherry Blossom trees have been given to several Canadian communities as a gift from the Japanese.    In Victoria B.C. in 1937, 1000 trees were given to mark the 75th Anniversary of the city.  A Cherry Blossom Festival is celebrated each year in Vancouver, B.C. where 50,000 Cherry Blossom trees bloom each Spring. (www.vcbf.ca)

This has been a very hard winter for many, so any sign of Spring is beautiful.  Start looking around and you will begin to see many reasons to..........

Give Thanks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment