Wednesday 30 April 2014

HONESTY, SELDOM EVER HEARD

Today, I've been thinking about Billy Joel's song, "Honesty", that he recorded in 1978.



Why you ask?  Well I'm just so disappointed that people find it so difficult to be honest.

Why do people prefer to lie?  Why do people need to embellish, smooth talk, whitewash and even blatantly lie?

Do they really think that the average person cannot see through their deception?  And do they really expect to be trusted ever again once they have been caught with their pants down lying?

Perhaps I'm unusual but lying is simply such a foreign concept to me.  If anything I am honest to a fault hurting those around me by my blunt truthfulness at times.  I have to think before I speak to prevent myself from inadvertently stating hurtful truths. 

I don't know about you, but once I have caught someone lying to me, I have difficulty trusting them afterwards.  This proves to be very trying if I rub shoulders with the individual on a regular basis.  I wonder how these people manage to develop any meaningful relationships if they find it so easy to lie.  After all trust is a crucial foundation of any close relationship.  I venture to say, I think it is as important as love.

Billy Joel was obviously hurt by relationships built on facades when he wrote these words:

                           Honesty is such a lonely word
                           Everyone is so untrue
                           Honesty, seldom ever heard
                           And mostly what I need from you

I am grateful that I am surrounded by family and friends who I can trust to tell me the truth.

Give Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment