Thursday 26 June 2014

SHOPPING SPREES

Yesterday I did something I have never done before.  I spent over 3 hours in one store and came out with 5 new dresses, 5 new shirts, a pair of shorts and jeans, a jacket and 7 pairs of shoes.

Guess what?  I spent only $400 for all of that with about 75% savings.  Now that's what I call a shopping spree!



It helps that I am in Oregon where there is no tax and that I am visiting my brother and his wife who is the queen of bargain shopping.  She can even find designer hand bags for $5.

I really am not a fan of shopping but eventually it is a necessity.  After all, when you are still wearing some clothes that you wore 20 years ago, it really is time for a change.  Yup, that's how much I hate shopping.

I have never before found in one day (never mind one store) so many clothes I liked enough to buy.  I am a pretty picky shopper and I usually run out of patience looking. But it sure helps to have a wise, experienced shopper with you to give advice and help you with the search.

And for me shopping is actually fun when I find great deals!

I was raised to never pay full price.  My parents never had enough money to pay full price and why should we when there are always bargains to be found by looking.

I was taught to be wise in my spending.  Money needs to be respected.  Wasting money is like spitting in the hand that gives it.  God, as the head of our universe, is ultimately the Giver of everything good.  Everything we have is actually His that He has graciously given to us.  Money included.

There are too many people in dire need in our world today.  When those of us with money, spend frivolously, it should disturb our conscience.  It should evoke our sense of right and wrong.

And if we spend our money wisely, it should leave us money to give to those in need.  The Bible teaches that is more blessed to give then to receive and I have always found that to be true.

If you have never yet experienced the incredible joy of meeting someone's genuine need by giving, then you should seek the opportunity to do so.  There really is nothing else like it!

Give Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment