Tuesday 18 February 2014

CARE-FREE SHOPPING

I must confess.  I am not a typical female. 

Why, you ask?  Well, I really dislike shopping!

 Yes, we do exist.  But I only know of a handful of others like me.

For me shopping is only a necessity.  It's not that I don't like getting new clothes or jewelry or shoes or electronics and more.  Of course, I do. 

I love all those things but I don't like going to the stores to search for them and buy them.  It is time consuming, there are line ups and many times I cannot find what I am looking for so I conclude that I have wasted my valuable time.  Hence, I do not like shopping.

But the 21st century has brought the solution right into our homes, with online shopping.

What could be easier, faster and more convenient then searching amazon.com for your newest book or kitchen appliance?  Or how about booking your next vacation online instead of going to a travel agent to discuss your options.  There are convenient online versions of many of our favorite stores like Walmart, Macy's, JC Penny, Home Depot, Toys R Us, Costco and more.  We can even buy our groceries online.

My husband recently bought the newest John Grisham book for his iPad online and I just received in the mail my new Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine to make delectable homemade ice cream.  Last year I was able to find specialty head scarfs online, for a friend of mine fighting cancer, and have them delivered to her door.

Shopping online means no traffic jams, easy price comparisons between stores, no gasoline consumption, no store hours to adhere to,  fast finding of unique purchase items.  And it can all be done while still in your pajamas.

But yes, there is a downside.  You won't be able to try on that new dress until after you have paid for it and returning online purchases can be a hassle.  Hopefully, the retail store is in the vicinity of your home so that you can take returns there.  But if not, reshipping it back to the supplier is costly and burdensome.  Of course, there is also the initial shipping fee that is added on to your purchase price.   Sometimes it is too high making the purchase not worthwhile.  

Furthermore, you must be careful that the store you are buying from online is reputable and verified secure.  This should be clearly displayed on their website, as should a promise to protect your personal information, including your credit card number.  If you have any doubt about the security of shopping online from a particular store, then don't.  Move on to another store that you are confident will protect your private information.

Well, I certainly don't do all my shopping online but I do enjoy the convenience and I love my new Ice Cream Machine so I am thankful for the option of online shopping.

Give Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment