Friday 1 August 2014

CHURCH? FOR OLD FOGIES OR HAS IT CHANGED?

"Church?  Isn't that just for old people, half of which fall asleep?"  This is what a coworker said to me once when I mentioned that I went to church.

Well I'm not old, I don't fall asleep and I really enjoy going to church.



Church has changed over the years.  Today the music is more modern and lively instead of the old fashioned hymns.  Many churches have a full band playing with guitars, keyboard and drums.  People of all ages attend and participate fully in the worshipful music.  Most preachers engage the audience rather then standing still behind a pulpit and speaking with a monotone voice.   Suits and dresses are no longer expected either.  Come in jeans, shorts or whatever is comfortable.

Many churches are very involved in their local community as well.   Various church programs are actively serving the needs of those around them such as Soup Kitchens, Puppet Shows for Children, After School Programs, Divorce Recovery Groups and so much more.

Recently a team of about 100 young people visited our community for one week in a program called SERVE.  The team was divided into groups of about 6 and assigned a different home to visit each day where they would serve the home owners by doing various yard work for them.  The program is designed to lighten the load of the elderly, single parents or anyone else who needs the assistance.  It is a means of serving others while displaying the love of Jesus.  The kids genuinely enjoy the opportunity to help others and the recipients of their volunteer work are blessed.

I think it is sad that so many have never been to church.  There are so many churches to choose from, all of which are happy to have visitors.  Once in the door you should receive a hardy welcome and if you take the initiative to learn about opportunities to get involved, you will soon find a second family.

If you are afraid of people in churches having a "bible thumping" mentality, don't worry I get it.  I have even witnessed it and it turns my stomach.  Don't get me wrong, I believe the Bible, but nobody needs it shoved down their throat. 

So perhaps you have been to church and didn't like it or were somehow offended.  Then try another church.  I honestly believe there is a church out there for everyone that can be a home away from home.  If you do not receive a warm welcome and witness love in action, then look elsewhere.

Perhaps you just don't like Christians.  Many find Christians to be hypocritical, judgemental and unkind.  If you have been wounded by a so-called Christian, I am so sorry!  Even as a Christian myself, I have dropped my jaw in utter shock to hear some appalling stories of encounters that non-Christians have had with Christians.  Although we are far from perfect, we should be known for our love and compassion above all else.

Having a Christian faith gives meaning and purpose to my life.  My Christian friends are my closest friends.  Actively participating in Christian service gives me inner joy.  Church is where my faith, friends and ministry are found.  It's not a once-a-week activity.  It's  a daily existence with God in charge.

My weekly church attendance is a source of rejuvenation.  Life is hard sometimes.  Church helps me get through. 

So what is keeping you from going to church?  Reach out and find a whole new life waiting for you.  Church is not boring.  Check it out for yourself and see.

Give Thanks!









No comments:

Post a Comment