Monday 12 May 2014

MOVING DAY #20

Some people feel sorry for me when they hear how many times I have moved!

I just laugh and conclude that since I moved so much as a kid, I never got it out of my system.  I attended 8 different schools before graduating in Grade 12.  And it wasn't due to being expelled for bad behavior.  We just plain moved a lot.



Well, next month I move into my 20th home!  And like several previous homes, I anticipate living there awhile but only time will tell.

To some this sounds so horrible.....8 schools and 20 homes.

But I believe there have been many benefits from the frequent moving.  For starters, I am much more adaptable then most.  I can adjust to change rather easily and I don't tend to be afraid of new experiences.  I also have a tendency to be shy by  nature but the frequent moving has forced me to come out of my shell.

I actually get bored rather easily if my life just keeps following the same pattern.  I don't like to feel stuck in a rut, so moving actually is a good thing in my mind.  It means a fresh start with exciting new challenges.

Besides it really isn't even very hard.  I  have the whole process mastered with all my experience.  I could probably write a "How To" manual on moving and post it online.

However, there are some drawbacks to the whole concept as well.  I am a person who likes to have close, intimate friendships and that is difficult to achieve when you move a lot.  If you stay in the same city, or at least vicinity, it's OK but I have lived in 3 different provinces of Canada, 2 different states of the U.S., plus overseas.  Not many people are good at keeping in touch when the distance is far, even today with the internet.

I also, obviously, lack roots.  I know Canada is home but I don't have a city or even a province that is called home in my mind.

So what does this all have to do with gratitude?

Well I think we all need to be grateful for our life experiences that make us the unique individuals that we are.

I am grateful for how frequent moving has molded me into the person that I am today.

I am also grateful for my oldest friend, Peg, who has not let the miles between us hinder our friendship.

Give Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment