Thursday 16 January 2014

LACKING IN SELF DISCIPLINE?

It felt like Spring was just around the corner yesterday here in West Coast British Columbia.   I was driving my sports car, wearing my sunglasses and not needing a jacket, so life was good!  




But it is still January, the month when I pretend to have some discipline and self control to lose a few of those extra pounds put on by my enormous love for the mouth watering flavors of food.  After all, before long it will be Summer when fewer clothes are required, so hiding bulges is much more challenging.

So, it is time to consume less calories and burn more calories, or simply put - diet - one of the many nasty four letter words in our English vocabulary.

I like Jim Rohn's quote on discipline that to me defines dieting perfectly:

          "We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." 

I am not sure what you may need self-discipline for these days but I have compiled some famous quotes to encourage all of us who are trying to develop the skill of discipline.

  •   An Irish Proverb says,  "There is no luck, except where there is discipline."
  •   "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." (Aristotle)
  •  "In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves... self-discipline with all of them came first." (Harry S. Truman)

  •  “Discipline - Success doesn't just happen. You have to be intentional about it, and that takes discipline.” (John Maxwell)
  •  "Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself." (Abraham Joshua Heschel)
  • "At the time, discipline isn't much fun.  It always feels like it's going against the grain.  Later, of course, it pays off handsomely." (Bible: Hebrews 12:11 The Message)                  
  • "The first and the best victory is to conquer self." (Plato)
I am thankful that discipline is attainable with determination and perseverance so I will succeed in losing weight this month!

Give Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment