Saturday 11 January 2014

SAYING GRACE



We have all seen the commercials of the starving children in Africa.  And many of us remember hearing our mothers tell us about the starving children in Africa to convince us to eat our vegetables when we were young.

Saying grace before each meal is a regular practice for a diminishing number of people in our society.  Statistics indicate that only 44% of Americans say grace and 46% never say it at all.

There are mixed feelings about saying grace.

Some would argue that if you say grace too often, it becomes meaningless.  I would argue that not saying it at all is even more meaningless.

Others would say that there are times when it is OK to skip grace.  Like in a noisy restaurant with waitresses interrupting you or when in a hurry to get out the door in the morning.  I must admit that I sometimes fall into this category although I am not proud of it.

Some only say grace before dinner, rather then before each meal.  I confess that this is often the case for myself.  Sometimes my meal is so small I don't even sit to eat it. 

A smaller percentage say grace after finishing their meal, perhaps believing that they will have even more gratitude after their palates have tasted the food and their stomachs are full.  (Or maybe they just want to make sure the food is good before saying thanks.)

Some only say grace at special occasions such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Personally, I think we should all practice the Spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas on a daily basis and not just save it for the holidays.

One thing that proves true time and time again is that those who have less, have more gratitude!

Why is that?  I believe that the more we have, the more self-sufficient we become leaving little room and humility in our hearts to be truly grateful for all the provisions from God that we enjoy.

I have seen the commercials about the starving children in Africa, I have heard many stories about the starving children in Africa and I have personally seen the skeletal frames with swollen bellies of children in Africa.  Why was I so blessed to be born in a country of such fortune?

Take my word for it, we should Say Grace!

Give Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment