Friday 21 March 2014

BIRTHDAYS - TO BE REMEMBERED OR FORGOTTEN?

I have a twin brother and a sister who's birthday is 2 days after mine.  For me, birthdays were always a 3 way celebration.  So I never really learned to enjoy being the center of attention and I never really thought much of birthdays.  I can take them or leave them.

Some birthdays are obviously more special to most of us then others, such as 13 or 21 or 25.  After that they usually become less important.  Then when 40 comes or even worse 50, we would just assume stay under the covers and wait for the day to end and hope nobody is the wiser.


But when you think about it, birthdays really are quite special.  Chances are nobody you know shares the same birthday as you.  And we all could benefit from feeling special for one day of the year, where friends and family wish us well, through simple gestures of cards and phone calls.  For those of us who don't mind being the center of attention, a party never hurts either.

It is nice to know that people around us care enough to think about us on our special day each year!

But somehow that does not always happen.  How is it that our lives have become so busy that we cannot remember to practice simple gestures for those we love?

As a small business owner, I make an effort to give a card to each of my employees on their birthday.  It is a gesture of kindness and appreciation for the work they do for me and a means of honoring them on their special day.

On the other hand, some of us receive birthday cards from our business associates but not necessarily from our close friends or even family.  Seems rather ironic to me and also very sad.

Receiving a simple, kind gesture makes anyone's day brighter.  Even more so, if it is for no special occasion and a total surprise.  It is an opportunity to show someone you care.

I am as guilty as anyone of being caught up in my own busy world and forgetting to show those close to me how loved they are.  Birthdays are one obvious opportunity and we all have calendars and even smart phones that can remind us of important dates and events.  So we are sadly without excuse.

It really does not take much effort to show simple thoughtfulness, when you think about it.  But the results in the heart of the recipient can be enormous!

Note to self....Program my new iPhone with reminders of special dates to practice thoughtfulness.

What am I thankful for?

1) Being born in the best season (summer) so that my birthday is usually hot and sunny and fun to celebrate.  (Fun is very important as we celebrate 'older' birthdays.)

2) And for those who faithfully remember my birthday with good wishes and kind gestures each year!

Give Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment